Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Recap

Soo... the epic novel has finally come to an end. Looking back on it, I guess if I really thought about it, I probably could have guessed the ending. Not the exact events that happened, but the fact that he killed himself. All the way throughout the novel, Okonkwo was just too angry. He was never able to let go of what had happened with his father, and it just kept building and building. I think he could have chosen to follow a different path, but in the end I do feel sorry for him. No one was ever really able to understand or relate, so even though there were people there, he was still alone in a sense. Unfortunately, in the end, it seemed that the world and everything that was going against him was too much, and he just couldn't bear it anymore. Personally, I don't like novels that build up to nothing, even if they are very informative. Just my opinion, though.

1 comment:

Irish said...

I suppose anybody that knows their African history can probably predict what is going to happen here. Like you, I wasn't able to foretell of the actual way it happened.

Okonkwo's anger was his undoing. Sweet justice/karma for killing his own step son I believe. I don't feel bad for him, as he brought this lifestyle upon himself.

I wouldn't say the novel built up to nothing. Okonkwo maybe was a real jerk, but that doesn't mean the people of this poor village deserved to be taken over by the whites. The title "Things Fall Apart" also applies to them. I think you are vesting too much of the story into the man, and not into the tribe.

I enjoyed reading your blog, and I'll post your score on Edline.

Mr. Farrell