Monday, February 25, 2008

Mythology of Hinduism # 3

Wow, I am not meant to sit through a lecture class. This was a very intense lesson, and I'm sure to even come close to grasping what Watts was saying I'd have to listen to him speech several times. He used many analogies and comparisons, only a few of which i could even attempt to contemplate. I know at the beginning he was talking about dreams, but how they related to Hinduism I'm not quite sure. He then went on to explain how the western world's and eastern world's religious views differed. It is the view of those living in the west that the world was constructed a long time ago by one God, and that is how we came to be. The east thinks more along the lines of that God is still toying with us, and his creation is still happening and will always be happening. I like Alaina's comparison to As You Like It by William Shakespeare. That actually helped me understand better what Watts was saying. In all reality, though, I've learned a lot more in class from the notes we've been taking than from this lecture.

5 comments:

xoxsara said...

I wouldn't be able to sit in a lecture class either. It was boring for me to sit here and listen to one guy talk for 15 minutes straight on a topic I was totally confused about. I would rather learn about it in class too.

Special-K said...

I completely agree with you and Sara. Trying to understand what this guy was talking about just gave me a migraine. I would also rather learn about this stuff in class. If I had to sit and listen to this guy give a lecture class, I think that I would just leave.

samblyisnotfly said...

I also agree i would not last in a class were i had to here lectures the whole time. I was also very confuse about what he was talking about, and i also had to listen to it over and over just to fail to comprehend what he was trying to say. I also agree that it is easier to learn about it in class.

the sheeman said...

I think most of the prolblem lay in the fact that we had no clue about the subject matter. I mean who among us actually knows what the heck Hinduism is. This seemed almost a postgraduate lesson, and with the acception of our estimable leader, none of us have had any chance of taking the undergraduate course. So, confusion central here we come!

Irish said...

Lectures are abound in College, so you better get used to them. Listening to a 14 minute podcast a 2nd or 3rd time can help put things in perspective. Where the ideas "intense?" Well, yes. Hinduism is no walk in the park. It is a complex maze of beliefs unlike any other.

The idea was for you to scratch the surface and not understand 100% of the lecture. It's also good that you hear things from another teacher other than myself, to give you a different perspective.

Some of your classmates were unable to fathom such abstract ideas, which is a shame since Honors students should be able to entertain and explore abstract thought. It is what should set you above the average student.

Mr. Farrell