Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 19

It appears we are in for yet another twist, as Okonkwo prepares to leave his uncle's tribe and return to Umuofia. It is also quite evident that Okonkwo cannot wait to return home. He has definitely felt a great deal of uncomfortableness among these people. They are not "masculine" enough for him. He also regrets a great deal that he was not able to increase his status in his own tribe over the course of his banishment. Okonkwo as a character really makes me just... dislike him. I mean, starting the book, I thought he was cool... then I hated him... then I felt sorry for him... and now, after everything he's been through, he's still the same. He still only cares about himself. It's simply amazing that someone could be so self-absorbed. I somewhat think that even in preparing a gigantic feast for the tribe before he leaves, he was only trying to make himself seem all the better. Something... is going to happen.

No comments: