Monday, February 4, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 11

What a chapter. I quite enjoyed the story about the birds and the tortoise. I'm actually a little mad at the birds in the end, because technically the tortoise didn't do anything wrong. However, that isn't really what the chapter seems to be about. When the oracle's helper comes to take Ezinma to the oracle, I was quite surprised and pleased to see Okonkwo try and have them wait. Maybe the death of Ikemefuna has had an affect on him, and even if he still has a hard heart, he seems to care more for his family. Ezinma did go however, but when Ekwefi followed them to the oracles cave, her husband came, too. To me, this was just like... wow. I still can barely grasp it... he actually cares. For Ekwefi, for some reason this brings up the memory of when she first came to be with Okonkwo. I think right now they are getting closer as a family, which is a really good thing. However, in the past chapters, bad things often follow good things, so I guess we shall have to wait and see.

4 comments:

Special-K said...

I also enjoyed the story about the birds and the tortoise. I think that is shows how creative these people are. I could not hardly believe that Okonkwo arrived at the Oracle's cave as well.

xoxsara said...

I didn't really get too indepth to the whole turtle and bird story. But it's cool that you like it haha.

Irish said...

Again, Achebe lets us in on tribal stories (birds & tortoise) which you or I would never have heard of had it not been for the book.

What I don't like is Ezinma gets whisked away to the cave, yet we never learn what the Oracle does to her? She is returned, which shocked me, since I figured she might be sacrificed or something terrible.

Okonkwo definitely cares for her, which is odd I'll grant you. Then again, she was always his favorite daughter so maybe this has something to do with it?

Mr. Farrell

the sheeman said...

I dunno what u r talking about aaron. what do u mean the tortoise did nothing wrong. pompous jerk took their feathers and tricked them out of a feast. i was glad when the parrot tricked him. Mr. Farrell, i think u r reading a little ahead. Ezinma isnt returned in this chapter. at its end okonkwo shows up and waits with Ekwefi outside the cave and ekwefi has a flashback.