Monday, February 4, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 12

At the beginning of the chapter, it actually tells us how worried Okonkwo was worried. Again, I was amazed. Everytime he does something like this it amazes me. However, it seemed he actually had nothing to worry about. The chapter goes on to describe something which actually sort of relates to things we do in America. The whole village is preparing for Obierika's daughter's uri, which is sort of like an engagement party. Besides the brief dispute of some cows getting loose, the whole thing was a lot like what we do. Everyone brought some food, Obierika got a large goat, and the in-laws brought a very large amount of wine for the party. Although I enjoy reading about all the different things that they do in their culture, I thought it was really interesting that they did some of the same things we still do in America today.

2 comments:

Special-K said...

I agree that Obierika's engagement party for his daughter is a lot like what we as Americans do today. I also am amazed every time Okonkwo exhibits emotion.

xoxsara said...

I thought that it was interesting that they do some of the same thing we do here too. It was interesting to read about it because I could relate.