Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 25

Wow... did not see it coming. Okonkwo, the great warrior who defeated a champion, who had gained countless honors in his tribe, and who had taught himself to never quit... hung himself. To me, this is a great disappointment. They say it is a horrible sin to take your own life, but a great honor to die in battle. I would have much rather seen Okonkwo die in a courageous last stand than simply hang himself. It was by far the most out of character thing for him to do in the entire novel. The commissioner is also very snobby towards the tribesmen, showing almost a sense of pride in what he had indirectly caused to happen. In my opinion, a disappointing ending all around.

1 comment:

Irish said...

YOU WROTE:
"I would have much rather seen Okonkwo die in a courageous last stand than simply hang himself. It was by far the most out of character thing for him to do in the entire novel."

I sooooooo agree with you here!!! I don't think Achebe did a good job with this ending. It isn't plausible for Okonkwo to be weak and kill himself. I also wanted to see him go out in a blaze of glory, maybe take a few whites out with him, but not happening here.

I also hated the ending.

Mr. Farrell