Monday, February 4, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 13

All I can say after reading this chapter is wow. The funeral, like the wedding party, is a lot like what we do in America. Ezeudu was a warrior, therefore they beat the drums and fire off guns. However, Okonkwo's gun accidently explodes and kills Ezeudu's son. I really can't say I didn't see what happens next coming. It finally happens. Karma has finally caught up with him. After living such a hard-hearted life, he finally seemed to be softening up a little. But with this unfortunate death, everything he worked for, all his material possessions, are gone in an instant. He is banned from the tribe for seven years to pay for his actions. Ezeudu's family burns all his buildings and animals, and just like that Okonkwo has nothing to show for all his hard work. Even though I'd really like to say I told you so to him, I do have a slight feeling of remorse for Okonkwo.

3 comments:

Special-K said...

I agree with you, I also am starting to feel sorry for Okonkwo for his bad luck. Even though I believe that he had it coming.

xoxsara said...

I noticed that the wedding part is pretty much the same thing we do here too. I am glad that Okonkwo god banned from the tribe for seven years.

Irish said...

Sometimes weddings and funerals can seem similar. Depends on who you are married to. (joke) ha ah! No seriously, I know what you mean though.

I have to say that this chapter does sneak up on the reader. Just as things seem to be going better for Okonkwo, the accident happens and he is banished.

Like you, I almost feel sorry for him, but then I think of how Okonkwo butchered Ekefuma and I figure, hey, Karma found him and now he's getting punished for killing his former step son.

I guess Achebe makes him like the Anti-hero, a guy you like/hate depending on the chapter? Its definitely a different type of character which is what makes the book so different that what you may have read in the past.

In Western lit, the hero is clearly defined. The good guys wear white, and the bad guys wear black. Too bad the real world isn't always that simple.

Mr. Farrell