Monday, February 4, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 10

Chapter 10, like chapter 9, is very rich in their culture. The village is now having a ceremony in which the dead spirits (egwugwu) come back. I'm not sure, but I sort of associate this with the Mexican "Day of the Dead"? That's my closest way of understanding it. These spirits also seem to play a role in their justice system? A case was brought before them where a man was beat by his wife's brothers, and then they took her and her children away from him. Their reasoning was he was beating her. Is this not what Okonkwo is doing the entire way through the novel? And if this other man did so as well, is it possibly a common thing in the community for the men to punish their wives? I don't really understand why these brothers felt they had the right to single out this one man. And in the end, the egwugwu don't even think it is something that should be settled in the community. I enjoyed reading about how they do their punishing, but I still don't really understand the case itself. To me, it just seemed sort of lame.

2 comments:

Special-K said...

Chapter 10 and 9 started to kind of bore me because they were all about culture. Even though I think that it is interesting to learn about different cultures, I just think that they talked about it to much.

xoxsara said...

I disagree with the whole punishing their wives whenever they want. It seems like the men just do it because they can. I think it is stupid.