Thursday, February 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 22

...I take back what I said in my last blog about Okonkwo never getting to relive his glory era. With the arrival of Reverend Smith, many changes take place in the tribe. Mr. Smith allows the Christians to be more free in the clan, and a man named Enoch decides to accept and use his new freedom. During the ceremonies in which "the dead come back to judge," Enoch unmasks one of the egwugwu. In response to this act, the next day, Enoch's compound is burnt. The tribe is obviously holding strong to their religion and beliefs. I believe this would have been true in real life as well. There would have obviously been converts, but I think for the most part tribe members tried to stand with what they new. Unfortunately for Mr. Smith, the tribe also decides to burn the church to cleanse the village.

No comments: