Monday, January 28, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 8

At the beginning of the chapter I actually felt sorry for Ukonkwo. His remorse for the loss of Ikemefuna was beyond what I would have ever guessed. This really surprised me because it seems as if he has gone from one extreme to the other in regards to his emotions. He is at such a loss that he hasn't even eaten for several days. He just, sits there. He can't even shake his thoughts of Ikemefuna. They just keep returning. Ukonkwo then decides to get his mind off of the murder he is going to go and talk to his friend Obierika. Obierika really does help Okonkwo a great deal with their talk. During this talk, a great deal is mentioned about positions held by men in local tribes. They compared the rank of ozo among the tribes, and mentioned how they felt that other tribes were treating it very dishonorably. At the end of the chapter, the custom of paying for the bride is described when another member from the tribe and his family visit Obierika to purchase the his daughter. To settle this matter, they use broomsticks. I did not quite understand the significance of these, perhaps they have some value in the tribe? However, it was quite interesting, and I thought it was good Okonkwo was getting over Ikemefuna's death, because I really don't think he should hold himself responsible.

6 comments:

Irish said...

I disagree. Okonkwo was warned not to go on the journey. Not only did he allow it to happen, but he participated in the killing. To me, this makes okonkwo unforgivable. I believe he deserves what he gets in this book, but that's just me.

If he really cared about Ikemefuna, don't you think he would have tried to do something to save him? I kept waiting for him to try to convince the others that the Oracle was crazy or whatever. It never happens.

Obierika is a good friend to Okonkwo, but he really doesn't listen to the good advice he's giving. This will happen later in the book as well.

The bride price is an ancient tradition, that is basically a barter type transaction. Fathers usually organize their daughter's marriages, and our own civilization was like this up to about 150 years ago. (not all that long when you think about it!)

The sticks are simply negotiating items used as abstract ways to determine price.

Keep the comments coming, you are doing quite well.

Mr. Farrell

Elaina said...

I use to feel a little sorry of Okonkwo in the beggining of the book but after what he did to Ikemefuna. He deserves to feel guitly because he practically killed his own son. Ikemefuna's last image was of the person that he has looked up to for 3 years killing him.

Special-K said...

I also agree about how hard Okonkwo took Ikemefuna's death, though I believe that he deserves all of the guilt that he has. It would of been completely different if he would of tried to help Ikemefuna, instead of hacking him down. So I personally have no pity for him at all.

the sheeman said...

Mr farrell is right, what goes around comes around. the dude is a jerk, a scoundral, an offense to all of humanity. I did like the example of the dowry, i had never heard of that way before, but im starting to think i am the only one who thought that was perverted. hmmmmmmmm maybe i am too sheltered. D

Cody Williams said...

I agree with Mr. Farrell, Okonkwo is unforgivable. Okonkwo is crazy and thinks more about himself and his manliness than other people's lives. I kind of think that it is not only him that thinks this way but mostly all of his village.

Joe King said...

Yeah I think that Mr. Farrell is right Okonkwo is pretty much an idiot. He could have just stayed home but he went along and was INVOVLED. If it was me I would have fought against them taking Ikiemefuna to kill him. I really think his emotions are screwed up because he kills pretty much a son just to save his image. I thought it was pretty funny how they buy brides haha.