Thursday, January 24, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 6

This chapter goes into great detail about the wrestling customs that are used during the festival. Absolutely everyone attends this event. It is practically their Olympic Games. It begins with the younger wrestlers going first, almost as to prepare the crowd for the main event. Then, when the time comes for the actual fighters, they use some odd techniques in their fights. The two teams are lined up on opposite sides. A wrestler dances over to the other side, chooses an opponent, and they dance back to the center. Then, the fight begins. All the while, drums are playing very powerfully in the background. This chapter does not really talk about Okonkwo or his family very much, but it does tell a lot about what is important to them and the entire community. I'm waiting to see if he still fights, or if he is too old. I would've thought that being the great fighter that he is, that he would still prove he can do? So far, though, they haven't said anything about him.

6 comments:

xoxsara said...

Yeah i was hoping to see if Okonkwo fought too, but it never really said anything. It's cool that wrestling is such a big deal over there, and kind of popular over here?

Deryk said...

Yeah, I think he might be called upon to fight, and would do it, because if he didn't that would lower his reputation. Also because he is so self-centered.

Elaina said...

Yeah that is a good question when is Okonkwo going to fight? Does he ever fight I wonder? I think the wrestling matches would be very fun to watch and entertaining. I was glad to see that there was a winner in the end of the actual fight instead of it being a tie.

Special-K said...

I was also wondering as I read through this chapter if Okonkwo would wrestle somebody. I also agree with how the wrestling matches were like their Olympic Games because everyone went to them.

Cody Williams said...

I said the exact same thing about Okonkwo. I was wondering if he would end up being challenged to wrestle or not. Wrestling is crazy popular over there. It's insane

Joe King said...

I was really disappointed with this chapter it seemed like Achebe just sort of breezed right through it and I thought that Okonkwo was going to fight since he was so great but there was only one fight and it wasn't described all that well. Reall disappointemnt.