Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Things Fall Apart: Chapter 4

This chapter reveals a real twist in Okonkwo's character. He openly admits to secretly liking Ikemefuna, even if he doesn't show it. This seems to greatly contrast his stern and cold-hearted character from the previous chapters. Maybe he won't end up being that bad in the end after all. However, it also goes and supports the fact that he is very cold-hearted in the pages that follow. During the Week of Peace, a sacred holiday, he lets his anger take control... this definitely shows that although he is very prosperous in possessions and maintains control over his family and farm, he cannot control himself. This could prove to be a great weakness, as he is severely punished for beating his wife. It also caused some of the villagers to look down upon him, which he definitely does not want. The chapter is summed up by describing his farming techniques, which greatly differ from those we use today. It is Africa, where the climate and crops are different, but they do put a lot of effort into their living. These people seem to be passionate about everything they do. At this point, though, I'm sort of wondering where this novel is heading. There doesn't seem to be a real storyline to me. It describes a lot about Okonkwo's past, but there are never really any details about where he is now and what is happening. I'm a little curious about this, probably just because I don't think I've ever read a book written like this before.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You seriously think that he was severely punished for beating his wife? All he had to do was give up some material possessions, which granted were probably important, but that is still a small price to pay for a crime so wrong and unforgivable. If he is so successful then it probably wasn't that big of a deal to get rid of that stuff. The most harsh punishment would probably be some tribe members looking down on him, but that didn't ruin his life or anything.

I agree about the storyline thing, I just have so many questions I mean where, when, how, why are just a few.

Sarah said...

I think that their farming techniques just go to show how important it is for them. For us, it's not that big of a deal because we can just go to the grocery store. But for them, farming is their livelihood. If they do not have any crops, not only can they not eat, but they can't trade for other things as well. I think I would probably be much more careful if I knew what was at stake as well. I also find this book kind of strange. There doesn't really seem to be a plot or anything, it just kind of describes their customs and rituals.

Alaina said...

I agree with Lisa when she said he wasn't severly punished. I mean for physically hurting a person, all he had to do was give up a couple of possessions. Thats not that harsh. I don't think that Okonkwo is cold hearted, but I do think he has a very short temper. That could very well hurt him later in the novel.